Hacettepe Üniversitesi eski öğr. üyesi
ENGLISH FOR TURKS
A Free Bilingual Electronic Ezine
Special Edition 03
August 6, 2002
Dearest Members, Here is another test I have prepared for you to spoil all the fun of a Midsummer Morning -- with a grim naughty grimace as I remind you once more that fall is the season when many a candidate in tough language exams like autumn leaves fall... So, the exercise I offer down below is no toffee either -- Oh, well, enjoy it...
Değerli Üyeler, "Yaz Ortasında Sonbahar Sınavlarını Hatırlatma" teması ile tatilinizi berbat etmek için, bu haftaki özel sayımızda sizlere yine çetin bir test sunuyorum. Bu testi, tıpkı geçen haftaki gibi, artık bitmek üzere olan kitabımızın çilekeş bağrından çalıntı yapıyorum. Keyfini çıkarın... izbul
But, a good piece of advice first -- for starters...
[NOT: "Starters," "yemekte ilk servis edilenler," demektir.]
Here's the final word on nutrition and health, based on some complicated statistics. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:
Poor Turks eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Rich Turks eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Poor Turks drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Rich Turks drink excessive amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
SO NOWWW !
[It is really what saves you!]
Aşağıdaki tümceleri "direct speech", dolaysız anlatıma dönüştürünüz. Konuşan kişi aslında ne demektedir / demişti? Yanıtları testin sonuna ekledim. Konuşma ortamının farklı yorumlanması sonucu aramızda oluşabilecek ufak tefek farklılıkları (yapısal yanlışlık olmaması koşuluyla) görmezden gelebilirsiniz
1) I warned/told the boys not to swim out too far.
2) She offered to bring me some coffee.
3) He kept wondering whether he should wait for them or go on his own.
4) He asked her where she lived and if it was very far from where they were.
5) Ali was shouting at me, repeating that we were already late.
6) She greeted me, thinking I was a stranger, and asked if I'd ever been there before.
7) She said that her father had died the year before.
8) He said he had seen her two days before.
9) Güneş said that he would/should like to take some photographs of them.
10) Ali said that it was time they began thinking about their holidays.
11) She mistakenly responded that it was Suleiman the Magnificent who conquered İstanbul in 1553.
12) The doctor told his patient that he wouldn't be that fat if he didn't eat so much.
13) He asks if it would be possible to buy the tickets beforehand.
14) She asked her friend how much she weighed and told her that she probably ate too much.
15) His friend apologized for being late and he explained that he had been held up in a traffic jam.
16) I did tell him not to do it.
17) Their teacher told them she felt obliged to inform them that they were making very little progress.
18) She asked her friend how much the suit her husband was wearing had cost him.
19) Ali told us that he had been on that bus for at least half an hour before he realized that it was the wrong one.
20) She wanted to know which one of the two I was going to buy.
21) He advised me not to buy that house.
22) His manager warned my friend not to be rude to the customers. Otherwise, they would just walk out and never come back again to that shop.
23) She begged her husband to be careful, as it was too dangerous to drive so fast on such a slippery road.
24) She said she was very cross with me, pointing out that she had been waiting for me for the last half hour.
25) She urged me to hurry up, warning that the plane would have landed by the time we got to the airport at that rate.
1) Don't swim out too far, boys! (You mustn't swim out too far...)
2) Shall I bring you some coffee?
3) Should I wait for them or should I go on my own? (I keep wondering whether I should wait for them or go on my own...)
4) Where do you live? Is it very far from here?
5) Don't you hear me! I've been telling you we're already late. (I keep telling you we're already late!)
6) Hello, stranger! Have you ever been here before?
7) We planted this tree three years ago.
8) I saw her two days ago.
9) I would / should like to take some photographs of you.
10) It's time we began thinking about our holidays. (Bknz. Dilek Kipi, The Subjunctive Mood Bölümünde, dolaylı anlatım kuralları)
11) It was Suleiman the Magnificent who conquered İstanbul in 1553... (Konu tarihi gerçekler -- yada yanılgılar -- olduğunda tense değişikliği uygulanmaz. Geçmiş geçmiştir...)
12) You wouldn't be this fat if you didn't eat so much... (Tense değişikliği yapmıyoruz, çünkü dikkat ederseniz doktor hanım bir genel gerçekten söz ediyor, geçmişteki bir durumdan değil: Eğer tümceyi "You will not be this fat if you don't eat so much" şeklinde düşündüyseniz, bu gramer olarak doğru, ama kullanım olasılığı sıfıra yakın bir tümce olur)
13) Would it be possible... (Giriş fiiliniz present tense, o halde aktarılan sözlerde tense değişikliği gerekmiyor)
14) How much do you weigh? You probably eat too much...
15) I'm sorry I'm late. (I apologize for being late) I've been held up in a traffic jam...
16) Don't do it! (How many times do I have to tell you not to do it?)
17) I feel obliged to inform you that you are making very little progress...
18) How much did the suit your husband is wearing cost him?
19) I had been on that bus for at least half an hour before I realized that it was the wrong one... (Tümcenin aslının da aynı tense'lerde olduğunu durumun mantığından anlıyoruz)
20) Which one of the two are you going to try on?
21) If I were you, I wouldn't buy that house. (= Don't buy that house)
22) Don't be rude to the customers. (You must not be...) Otherwise, they'll just walk out and never come back again to this shop...
23) Please, please be careful! It's too dangerous to drive so fast on such a slippery road!
24) I'm very cross with you. I've been waiting for you here for the last half hour...
25) Do hurry up, please. The plane will have landed by the time we get to the airport at this rate...