Gratefully pilfered and slightly modified from http://uk.cambridge.org
CAMBRIDGE VOCABULARY TEST
TEST - I
01. Which word is an adjective?
02. Which word can you put before any the following units?
03. Fill the gap: I opened the door and went ............................... the garden.
04. What is the best answer? What does your wife do?
Shes reading a book.
B. I dont know what shes doing
C. Shes a doctor.
05. Which one is not correct?
When I get up I make my bed.
B. I made a mistake in my homework.
C. I want to make an appointment please.
D. I have to make my homework.
06. Which sentence means: Im Chinese?
I come to China. B. I come from China.
07. The answer is Fifteen minutes. Choose the correct question.
How long does it take to get to the station?
B. How long takes it to get to the station?
C. How far to the station?
08. A or B? "Come to my house tomorrow and .................................. ."
take your guitar with you.
B. bring your guitar with you.
09. Here are some things people often do every day. Put them in order.
wake up B. come home C. go to bed
D. make dinner E. go to work
10. Which sentence is correct?
11. What do you do on a bicycle?
12. Find the best ending: This bad weather makes everyone feel sad, even ....................................
the dog! B. the morning. C. it is summer.
13. Which season is before autumn?
14. Choose the best word to complete this sentence: "Petra is rich and doesnt like cooking so she ............................... goes to restaurants."
hardly ever B. often C. rarely D. never
15. Which one of the verbs below can not be used to complete the sentence?:
16. Find the best word to add to this group of uncountable words: sugar, traffic, news, weather, travel.
apples B. luggage C. shoes D. plates
17. Here are some adjectives to describe people. Which ones are negative?
nice B. selfish C. kind D. horrible E. wonderful
18. Which one of the verbs below is not usually followed by for?
ask B. belong C. wait D. pay
19. Read these sentences: 1. You look unhappy. What has happened? 2. Be careful. The bridge looks unsafe. 3. She was unsure of the direction and she did not have a map. QUESTION: What does un- mean when it is at the beginning of a word?
very B. quite C. not
20. Look at the underlined words in these sentences: 1. I love sunny days when I can lie on a sandy beach. 2. Rainy days make me feel sad. QUESTION: These three words words have -y at the end. What does y do to a noun?
21. A or B? The passport officer ............................ .
controlled my passport at the airport.
B. checked my passport at the airport.
22. What is the word for your brother or sisters daughter?
cousin B. aunt C. nephew D. niece
23. Which of these things are on your face?
lips B. toe C. nose
D. knee E. eyes F. shoulders
24. Find two things we wear on our hands.
ring B. socks C. jumper
D. jacket E. gloves F. dress
25. Here are three short descriptions of peoples faces. Which one must be a man?
blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin
B. dark skin, brown eyes, a moustache and beard
C. short, red curly hair and quite fair skin
26. Match the problems on the left with the best words on the right:
27. Paul has not eaten any food for three days. How does he feel?
happy B. cold C. hot
D. surprised E. hungry F. thirsty
28. What do you say when someone passes an exam?
Good luck! B. Well done! C. You took your exam!
29. Which person stops people parking their cars in the wrong place?
librarian B. mechanic C. traffic warden D. bank clerk
30. Which word is a building?
31. Which animal could be a pet in a house?
32. What does this mean? "You have to change trains in London."
This train is not working.
B. You cannot travel on only one train.
C. You can get a better train.
33. What does this sign mean? OUT OF ORDER
Go out this way B. Closed
C. This is not working D. Police Area
34. Which of these are fruit?
pear B. garlic C. apple
D. potato E. onion F. peas
35. Which of these do we put on the table at dinner time?
36. What can you find in the bathroom?
wardrobe B. basin C. dressing table
D. shower E. bedside table
37. What do we sit on in the living room?
coffee table B. bookshelf
C. sofa D. light switch
38. Which person works outside (= not in a building) sometimes?
engineer B. shop assistant
C. hairdresser D. secretary
39. What can you use on paper?
drawing pin B. cassette C. pencil D. pen E. rubber
40. Which type of holiday includes flight, hotel and some meals in the price?
camping holiday B. package holiday
C. coach tour D. walking holiday