Gratefully pilfered and slightly modified from http://uk.cambridge.org
CAMBRIDGE VOCABULARY TEST
TEST - II
01. Which word in this sentence is an adjective? "She walked slowly towards the young child."
she B. walked C. slowly D. towards
E. the F. young G. child
02. In one of these words, the letter o has a different sound to the others. Which one is it?
hot B. some C. not D. shot E. dog
03. Which one of these things would you not take to school?
A. file B. pencil sharpener C. socket D. highlighter pen
04. Find the correct sentence:
She has a full-timed job; she works eight hours each day.
B We have a fifteen-minute break between our morning lessons.
C I gave the shopkeeper a ten-pounds note.
D In summer, John wears short-sleeve shirts.
05. What is the best meaning for this sentence? She is a heavy smoker.
06. Find the right preposition for the gap:
07. You can complete three of these sentences with the preposition on. Which one cannot be completed with on?
Shes gone .......... holiday.
B The workers are .......... strike because their pay is too low.
C I saw your musician friend .......... TV last night.
D Im sorry, I took your book home last night .......... mistake.
08. Which phrasal verb can you use in all these sentences?
My alarm clock didnt ........... this morning so I woke up late.
2 The bomb could ........... at any moment. It is very dangerous.
3 The fish will ........... if you dont put it in the fridge; it already smells a bit!
A. go off B. take off C. get through D. wake up
09. Look at the word get in these examples. Which one means become?
Shes trying to get a new job.
B. Ill phone her when I get home.
C. My hands are getting cold.
D. You get a certificate at the end of the course.
10. Choose the best expression for the gap. This is a discussion between friends.
11. Here are some ways of asking people to do things. Put them in order from the least formal (which you would use with friends) to the most formal (which you would use with people you dont know).
Could I possibly borrow your dictionary?
B. Could you lend me your dictionary?
C. I was wondering whether I could possibly borrow your dictionary.
D. Do you think you could possibly lend me your dictionary?
12. Find the sentence which is incorrect.
I am agree with you. B. I think youre right.
C. Its OK as far as I am concerned. D. I agree to some extent.
13. Which preposition can go with all these expressions?
I met him ...... the bus stop. 2. She lives ...... 43 Duke Road.
3. Hes...... work at the moment. 4. Theyre ...... a party tonight.
on B. with C. in D. at
14. Put these expressions in order from least often to most often:
occasionally B. always C. never
D. sometimes E. frequently F. seldom
15. Find the most suitable ending: "In spite of the rain, ............... ."
he took his umbrella B. he went by car
C. he went for a walk D. he was in a bad mood
16. Read this sentence then put the actions A D in the right order: "The police think that a cigarette caused the fire which resulted in the destruction of the building."
The building was destroyed.
B. There was a fire.
C. The police gave their opinion.
D. Someone dropped a cigarette.
17. Which of these places need the word "the" before them?
... Nile B. ... Lake Titikaka C. ... Alps D. ... Bahamas
18. All these words describe types of wind. Which one is the most gentle?
gale B. strong wind C. hurricane D. breeze
19. Choose the best response to this question: "What does he look like?"
He looks like his brother.
B. He is very cheerful and friendly.
C. He likes dancing and going to restaurants.
D. He is tall and well-built with dark hair.
20. Which expression below means independent and able to think for yourself?
Shes very sensible. B. Shes easy-going.
C. She uses her initiative. D. Shes got a lot of common sense.
21. All these words are things we do with our hands. What do people do after a concert or play?
clap B. wave C. punch D. knock
22. Which of these family words describe a person who is your relative because of marriage (yours or someone elses) ?
cousin B. step-mother C. grandfather D. mother-in-law
23. How old is a toddler ?
24. What should you put on your finger if it is bleeding ?
a sling B. a plaster C. an ice pack
25. Where can you put small things if you dont want to carry a bag?
pocket B. belt C. scarf D. sleeves
26. Choose the best item to add to this list of things you can buy in a newsagents: "Newspapers, sweets, cigarettes, magazines and ................ ."
parking tickets B. stationery
C. furniture D. electrical appliances
27. Which of these are vegetables?
shrimp B. courgette C. pepper
D. cauliflower E. grapes
28. Here are some verbs connected with work. Which ones mean that you leave a job?
apply B. resign C. promote D. retire
29. Here are some things people use in offices. Which one relates to payment?
diary B. filing cabinet C. keyboard
D. invoice E. monitor
30. If a company breaks even, what happens?
It makes a little money. B. It loses money.
C. It makes a lot of money. D. It neither makes nor loses money.
31. Here are some things you can do with a ball in different sports. In which ones do you use your hands?
throw it B. head it C. catch it D. kick it
32. Which verb do we normally use to describe what we do with the mouse which is attached to a computer keyboard?
open it B. push it C. click on it D. press it
33. Find two institutions which are for young people aged 1116 years.
34. Here are some qualifications you can get from a university. Which one is the highest level?
BSc B. MA C. PhD D. MPhil
35. Which of the following crimes involves taking things which are not yours (=stealing) ?
murder B. shoplifting C. burglary
D. robbery E. theft
36. Find the best meaning for the underlined word in this sentence: Local people in the area where there has been most fighting are very pleased about the ceasefire.
an action which puts out all the fires
B. an agreement to stop fighting
C. an arrangement to build fires for the homeless
D. a candle factory
37. Which of these sentences are correct?
We went on a sightseeing tour on our holiday.
B. We made a lot of sightseeing on our holiday.
C. We did a lot of sightseeing on our holiday.
D. We got a lot of sightseeing on our holiday.